Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Letter to A Friend

Dear Mr XX,

I know I promised to write, I apologize for not. My results failed to live up to expectations, so I got to kiss the thought of studying in the U.S. goodbye. In a few years perhaps, I promise. But rest assure, I got my A for literature. I withdrew into my shell in the weeks after that. Itwas foolish to wallow in a state of self-pity andbitterness. But that was precisely what I did. Being a pain in other's ass. The slightest mention of my results would have provoked me into tears. My parents pack me off to Japan after that (on the pretext of letting me improve my Japanese). My uncle had acompany apartment there, so we troubled him for 3weeks. Three weeks of travel in Japan was beautiful.It did ease my soul for a while. It allowed me to run away, to forget. It was a spiritual journey albeit incomplete. My traveling companion was my Father,compromises had to be made in some travel decisions.It was this endless hurry to get from one place toanother when all I wanted to do was stop and ponder.

Coming back was tough. A piece in me is still missing.I am still a fool to brood over it. But I am attempting to move on. I got accepted in the Arts andSocial Science faculty of National University ofSingapore; and the Business Faculty of Nanyang Technological University. Both bigwigs of the education system here. I am in a dilemma. Simplydrifting and gravitating to the calls of others. NUS would allow me to dabble with subjects like political science and literature. I am not too sure about my future with it. Business does seem simpler. I have yet to pick up a pen proper for months. Thismust be the longest writing piece I have done in months. Though I have started reading of late. I put them away for a while. They are coming back, slowly.John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men”. "The QuietAmerican" by Graham Greene, he wrote it before theVietnam War. It bears uncanny similarities to reality.Strange, how prophetic.Do take care.

Once again I apologize for not writing.Say hello to A and your family from me.

Regards,
Ennui

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home