Friday, May 05, 2006

FAQ

Q: Did I fall in love?
A: Yes! truly, madly, deeply. ( I know, it sounds cheesy. :p)

Q: Did I fall in love with a boy? ( I am sure that's the big question)
A: I had a crush on this cute guy that I saw on the Shinkansen twice! What a wonderful coincidence! And Japan is a country with a population of 29 million. He had this goofy grin on his face every time I saw him, and best of all - dimples. The first time I saw him, he was with an aunty of his, and he was chatting away with her. The second time I saw him, I just melted in my seat. Literally. I sat erect in my seat,and when I saw him I simply slumped down.

The boys in Nihon are just hunky. They are sartorially inclined unlike those in Singapore. The Brokeback Mountain look is in, but it is never over done. Really subtle cowboy influences. The schoolboy uniform is just so smart. Most wear black shirts with Chinese collars. I am so in love with the uniform.

Q: How about the girls?
A: The girls in Nihon are pretty too. Fair of skin and really well dressed. I love the girls in MacDonald, they are ever so sweet. They are like the girls out of your MacDonald advertisement. They bend down to your eye level, and speak to you in an extremely sweet voice. I got enchanted by their big doey eyes. It was like a childhood dream come true for me. My first experience with the MacDonald girls turned me into a child. I felt so good.

Q: Is the food oishii?
A: There are the good and the bad. But one thing for sure, tasty or horrible, they all look pretty. The bento sets are so prettily wrapped, alas, they are not always good. By the way, bento sets are cold.

My second meal in Nihon was an interesting experience. I had to buy a food voucher from a vending machine outside of the restaurant. Upon entering the restautrant, I handed my food voucher to the cook. He will whipped up the dish at an amazing rate and hand it to you, which you are suppose to gobble up at lightning rate. The restaurant as mentioned is only a little cooking corner with table tops. You eat standing. I hate a terrible time then, the men were all so fast, I was just trying to shovel down the food as quick as I could. (By the way, I am a pretty quick eater.) 3 men by me finished their noodles before I was done with mine. But the cook was terribly kind, I think he knew I was having a hard time. Offering me soup, and teaching us how to work the cooler to get water. That's the beauty of Japan.

One thing for sure, Japanese sweets and their desserts are the best. I had wicked sakura and sweet potato ice cream while I was there. I love the latter. Oishii! And this Japanese sweet I had was just fantastic (Sugoi!) - strawberry wrapped with mochi and red bean. Mine, I am salivating, just thinking of it. It was the best I have eaten. I bought it off a shop in Ginza, and the girl serving me was just so sweet. It was beautifully wrapped in a box and a paper bag despite of the fact that only two was bought.

Q:Did I see sakuras?
A: Yes I did. Plenty. They bloom at different times at different places. Up North where it is colder, it blooms in late April/early May. The best sakura viewing spot was along the Path of Philosophy in Kyoto. It was joy to stroll through the canopy of trees. The name of the street is derived from the fact that a famous scholar used to stroll along its streets. The stretch of road has a nice blend of commercialism and local flavour. One would expect tourisy shops to line its streets, but some stoicly remains as housing for the locals. It was beautiful (kirei). I just gave my heart and soul to the place.

Q: Did I see Mount Fuji?
A: Yes, I did catch sight of that iconic image of Japan. My inn had gorgeous view of it. Alas, I was unable to climb it as it was not the climbing season. I went to the Lake Kawaguchi area in order to view it. But truly, I think Lake Sai afforded a better view of it. By Lake Sai, there is a beautiful hotel called Ashiwara ( if I am not wrong). In the light of the sun, you would think that it is a house out of a Hollywood movie. It is gorgeous. I swear to go back and stay in that hotel one day.

By purchsing this 2 day sightseeing pass that allowed me to hop around the Fuji resort area, I was able to visit the ice caves and herb gardens. It was so cool. The Wild Bird Park in that resort area afforded one of the best view of Fuji. There is this big expanse of green that allows you to frolick about. Unfortunately, my photos of the place are ruined. How? It will be another story.

In April, the Fuji View Hotel will be one place worth visiting. I was fortunate to do so, it has many varieties of sakuras in their garden. It is a favourite spot among locals to do some painting. Little children on school outings go there to draw too! The kids are simply adorable. They say konichiwa to you as you pass and with their rosy cheeks, they . are simply so adorable. Honestly, I am contemplating a career as an English teacher in Japan.

When I walked out of the hotel to wait for the bus (that comes by hourly) by the lakeside, this funny old man engaged me a conversation. He spoke a smattering of English like the way I speak a smattering of Japanese. Amazingly, we were able to understand each other. He was the captain that ferried Princess Diana across the lake when she visited. He is retired now, a little lonely and eager for company. I guess, that was why he engaged me in conversation. He ferries tourists on his speedboat now for some pocket oney. His wife died when she was 32, he showed me a photo. A little sad. His health is failing too, he claims to have less than two years to live. I hope I can go back before then, though odds are pretty much against it. He is such a dear. I am really fond of him even though the connection we made was so short. Interesting fact - he found me beautiful! It was so sweet of him, but he was so happy to see a young girl like me without makeup. I think it was refreshing change for him. Every girl from young to old puts on copious amount of makeup. You are an oddity if you don't.

There was an encounter on the train that is pretty amusing. I was on a train and turned my head to look back. I saw a man with a thick layer of face powder on his face, and I was absolutely shocked! Similarly, he was shock to see none on mine. I saw this flitting look of horror on him. He spend the next half-an-hour on the train doing his makeup. I drooled away, sleeping. :) That guy did not fit my ideal of hotness.

Soon...

7 Comments:

Blogger andriTz* said...

I agree! Your account of your experiences in Japan is really fun to read!! Feel like going there now...wish I know how to speak Japanese... :P

9:04 AM  
Blogger ennui said...

Dear Shao,
I am still holding on the dream to backpack Japan with you. I am not done with Japan yet. I really want to go back. There are a couple of guys in my class backpacking Japan for 18 days with $3000. I felt so excited for them. Oh, do go Japan.

6:31 PM  
Blogger ennui said...

same goes for andritz too.

6:33 PM  
Blogger ennui said...

Dear Shao,
I am still holding on the dream to backpack Japan with you. I am not done with Japan yet. I really want to go back. There are a couple of guys in my class backpacking Japan for 18 days with $3000. I felt so excited for them. Oh, do go Japan.

6:33 PM  
Blogger ennui said...

lol, i just came back. u may have to wait a year or so. unless, u don't mind packing off w a grp of boys from my class. they are backpacking jap w $3000 for 18 days. nice chaps they are. N lol, one of them is cute.

8:01 AM  
Blogger ennui said...

i guess so too. they will go ballistic, our parents. dec- cold!!!!!! u sure? haha

5:42 AM  
Blogger ennui said...

seriuosly, i advise against it. but then it is korea. so maybe it is not too expensive of a trip to waste it on winter. there are many things that winter will prohibit u to do. like attending a gaden concert of a beautiful summer night with the full moon and the gentle wind blowing down ur hair

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home