Pride and Prejudice
WARNING: CHI CHI, ARROGANT POST AHEAD. [DON'T BOX MY POOR EARS]
I did some browsing at tower A of Takashimaya with a friend today. Tower A (correct me if I am wrong, is it tower B?) houses all the branded goods - Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Hermes, Shanghai Tang and Burberry etc. Strolling into such stores is always an experience and education. There will always be a sense of self-consciousness and nervousness nagging upon me. Perhaps it's not my place to be there. No matter how confident I attempt to be, or how many practice sessions I have had with my room mate. It's not the life that I was brought up to lead.
My dear friends, despite hearing numerous stories of my tea sessions and tea parties with various friends. I have got to confess that I am dead nervous about attending them. Strolling into a fancy restaurant to place an order confidently came with loads of practice, and I still fumble at them. Unlike my room mate (aka dear friend, as I can no longer call you my room mate soon), she's absolutely confident about what she wants and what she expects of them. There would be this smooth air about her. Anything less would elicit displeasure from her. It's her upbringing I guess. ( But she had a pretty decent upbringing, she's really not that princessy as she attempts to portray herself to be. )
I know I can't keep up with her, I don't even bother to try. But I do see it as an education where I learn. Yes, I got to confess that there are times when I get misguided and go shopping for things beyond my means. Or the expensive tea drinking habits I acquired from her. It's pretty impossible to go without a cup of English Breakfast or Earl Grey these days. But I do try to remind myself that I ain't a tycoon's daughter.
Yet, there are times on the trains and buses and wrinkle my nose at the uncouthness of some young girls. And I would stare at their cheap pasar malam clothes and snort to myself that the clothes you wear from top-to-toe can hardly pay for a pair of my shoes or the handbag that I carry. Yes, slap me for such audacious arrogance. I got to confess that I am ashame of these moments. But unwittingly, I would gravitate towards such horrid thoughts. I would see them chewing on cheap yuppi gummies on the train and think about the nice Marks & Spencers or Australian imported starburst gummies that my friends or I would buy. Would these girls know about Percy Pig gummies or the wine gum drops that I so love. Nay, for they chew on yuppi gummy burgers and open their mouths to flash the disgusting mess to their friends. And they would sniff and laugh at my disapproving glances and chi chi dress in Hokkien. ( I am not a banana, I can prattle away in very decent Teochew, understand Hokkien and speak a pathetic amount of Cantonese.) To be politically correct, I wish I am humbler about such stuff. But often I choose to be an arrogant piece of shit and look down on them. Yes, shame on me.
But I got to qualify that I have no qualms about shopping at pushcarts or Far East. I see no reason in not buying a good piece cheap when I come across one. Just because Gap is such an internationally renowned brand does not mean that I will pay $40 for a T-shirt with Gap scrawled all over it. They ought to be paying me for being their walking advertisement. Yet, I got to admit that there are times when I wish that I could overlook the pushcart for cheap bargains and head to Zara or Mango for my latest piece. I hate the fact that the cheap pushcart dress I bought requires me to spend hours ironing it to get it straight and pretty. Or that reinforcements have to be sewn in for the buttons. I loathe it. I love the fact that I can spend 5 minutes ironing a dress from Zara and have it look pretty decent. Or that my latest shoe purchase from Pazzion would draw admiring glances from my classmates and friends alike.
I love the fact that I can be clever be with my clothes. I love wearing my dress in different ways or pairing off a top with different bottoms to create various looks. I can go corporate, hip-hop, skater, cute or classy with the items in my wardrobe without being a fashion disaster. I scorn the girls who blindly follow the fashion trends and look hideous in that pair of leggings. Or the layered-fluffy mini skirt that makes them look like a fried sotong ball you get from dim sum restaurants. I laugh.
Yes, box me. For now, I shall go hide beneath the covers.
I did some browsing at tower A of Takashimaya with a friend today. Tower A (correct me if I am wrong, is it tower B?) houses all the branded goods - Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Hermes, Shanghai Tang and Burberry etc. Strolling into such stores is always an experience and education. There will always be a sense of self-consciousness and nervousness nagging upon me. Perhaps it's not my place to be there. No matter how confident I attempt to be, or how many practice sessions I have had with my room mate. It's not the life that I was brought up to lead.
My dear friends, despite hearing numerous stories of my tea sessions and tea parties with various friends. I have got to confess that I am dead nervous about attending them. Strolling into a fancy restaurant to place an order confidently came with loads of practice, and I still fumble at them. Unlike my room mate (aka dear friend, as I can no longer call you my room mate soon), she's absolutely confident about what she wants and what she expects of them. There would be this smooth air about her. Anything less would elicit displeasure from her. It's her upbringing I guess. ( But she had a pretty decent upbringing, she's really not that princessy as she attempts to portray herself to be. )
I know I can't keep up with her, I don't even bother to try. But I do see it as an education where I learn. Yes, I got to confess that there are times when I get misguided and go shopping for things beyond my means. Or the expensive tea drinking habits I acquired from her. It's pretty impossible to go without a cup of English Breakfast or Earl Grey these days. But I do try to remind myself that I ain't a tycoon's daughter.
Yet, there are times on the trains and buses and wrinkle my nose at the uncouthness of some young girls. And I would stare at their cheap pasar malam clothes and snort to myself that the clothes you wear from top-to-toe can hardly pay for a pair of my shoes or the handbag that I carry. Yes, slap me for such audacious arrogance. I got to confess that I am ashame of these moments. But unwittingly, I would gravitate towards such horrid thoughts. I would see them chewing on cheap yuppi gummies on the train and think about the nice Marks & Spencers or Australian imported starburst gummies that my friends or I would buy. Would these girls know about Percy Pig gummies or the wine gum drops that I so love. Nay, for they chew on yuppi gummy burgers and open their mouths to flash the disgusting mess to their friends. And they would sniff and laugh at my disapproving glances and chi chi dress in Hokkien. ( I am not a banana, I can prattle away in very decent Teochew, understand Hokkien and speak a pathetic amount of Cantonese.) To be politically correct, I wish I am humbler about such stuff. But often I choose to be an arrogant piece of shit and look down on them. Yes, shame on me.
But I got to qualify that I have no qualms about shopping at pushcarts or Far East. I see no reason in not buying a good piece cheap when I come across one. Just because Gap is such an internationally renowned brand does not mean that I will pay $40 for a T-shirt with Gap scrawled all over it. They ought to be paying me for being their walking advertisement. Yet, I got to admit that there are times when I wish that I could overlook the pushcart for cheap bargains and head to Zara or Mango for my latest piece. I hate the fact that the cheap pushcart dress I bought requires me to spend hours ironing it to get it straight and pretty. Or that reinforcements have to be sewn in for the buttons. I loathe it. I love the fact that I can spend 5 minutes ironing a dress from Zara and have it look pretty decent. Or that my latest shoe purchase from Pazzion would draw admiring glances from my classmates and friends alike.
I love the fact that I can be clever be with my clothes. I love wearing my dress in different ways or pairing off a top with different bottoms to create various looks. I can go corporate, hip-hop, skater, cute or classy with the items in my wardrobe without being a fashion disaster. I scorn the girls who blindly follow the fashion trends and look hideous in that pair of leggings. Or the layered-fluffy mini skirt that makes them look like a fried sotong ball you get from dim sum restaurants. I laugh.
Yes, box me. For now, I shall go hide beneath the covers.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home