Thursday, June 01, 2006

Letter to a Friend (3)

Dear Mr XX,

To be honest, family support hasn’t been too great.They expressed their disappointment repeatedly in thedays after the release of the results. My Dad and an aunt in particular were pretty insensitive to it. To date, my Aunt is adamant that I have done badly. She is silent about it now though, Grandma stopped her or she would have repeated her disappointment at each ofmy visits. I guess my Dad felt bad about it and packed me off to Japan. But he does rub in unconsciously by lamenting how well his colleague’s daughter has done.Yes, I stress, “lament”. It’s this silly competitive spirit among the Chinese again.

I guess expectations were high this time. From family and self. Walking the arts path was a unilateral decision of mine, my family members were up against it. I promised them that I would do well then, but I failed. They have every right to be disappointed at me, I guess.

The only advice I have from my Dad regarding theuniversity issue goes something like this, "Choose the course that is going to make you the most money". How typical of a draconian Chinese patriach. I am sure he's not the only one. Not helpful advice by my standards. It frustrates me when all that matters is money. Yet I am terrifed by it.I am terrified of stepping into the working society.Working adults just seem so jaded and disillusioned. Of late, I have been hearing horror stories of worklife. I have a friend who is looking forward to theday he can toss his resignation letter to his boss. Coming soon though, he is heading to the U.S for his masters.

Gap year? Perhaps not, I have got my responsibilites as a eldest child. I had 8 months to myself, I frittered most of it away in self-pity. I would loveto head to Phnom Penh or Japan or Italy, but somehowrealities rein me in. I was pretty keen to sign upwith a organisation like Cross Cultural Solutions but I was set back by the cost. A 3 week programme is a hefty $2ooo plus in US dollars, that would have amounted up to $3000 in Singapoe dollars.

I will attempt to make a call to you soon. Once I have figured out a way to make the call as cheap as possible. Do take care, thanks for listening.

Regards,
Ennui

1 Comments:

Blogger andriTz* said...

Just wanna say that I will always be there to lend you a listening ear (sorry about today) and do what you truly want to do, not what others want you to do. Only then will you be happy.

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home